Demolition of Didcot Power Station
Time has been called on Didcot A power station and the iconic cooling towers will not be dominating the skyline of the Thames Valley for much longer.
The demolition of a large industrial site, like Didcot A is a long and complicated process. Work has already begun demolishing some of the smaller buildings, huts and equipment at Didcot A. The exciting, but complicated task of bringing down the main cooling towers will start on 27 July.
Covered Market - New venture from Nuffield Church
Stoke Row Covered Market in aid of Nuffield Church repairs.
Lots of stalls selling LOCAL PRODUCE including rare breed lamb from Chiltern Lamb, Pork from New Inn products, Delicious Cakes, biscuits from Oaklands Bakery, Lily's jams, preserves, chutneys etc, a bakery , Waterlands Charcuterie, Huntsman meat and game and bottled fruit juice.. There will also be a demonstration from Rustic Woodwork on hurdle making and we have wonderfully warm alpaca wool products and reclaimed wood fashioned into all manner of things and a lovely homemade Jewellery stall
Come and browse and enjoy the wonderful relaxed atmosphere, sample the exciting range of LOCAL PRODUCE, then come and join us for a bacon butty and cup of tea.
All proceeds go to Nuffield Church repair funds.
Future dates below. Always held on the third Saturday of the month.
- 19 July 2014
- 15 August 2014
- 20 Sept 2014
- 18 Oct 2014
- 15 Nov 2014
- 20 Dec 2014
The Future of Nuffield Church
Following on from the meeting we had in the Church on 7th November we're now working on two iniatives.
1) Looking to see whether it is feesible to change the church internally (remove the pews, upgrade the floor, install heating, a loo and so on) to allow it to be used as a community space. This project is moving along and a feesibility study has been commissioned.
2) Establishing a 'Friends of Nuffield Church' charity. This will be a charity, to which anyone can donate, for the purpose of safeguarding the structure of the church and the churchyard. Any money that the charity raises will be used for this purpose - or for any structural works needed to convert the church into a community space - and not for the day to day running on the church.
The ancient Parish of Nuffield is located in the beautiful Chiltern hills between Henley on Thames and Wallingford.
The Norman Church of the Holy Trinity is probably the oldest building in the Parish. Some masonry from this period survives on the south side of the nave. In the 14th century the Church was rebuilt and the north aisle was added. The Gothic Revival architect Benjamin Ferrey restored the chancel in 1845.
The main road (A4130) runs from Henley-on-Thames to Wallingford on the northern side of the Parish, it was made into a turnpike in 1736 (ceasing in 1873).
Huntercombe Hall is situated on the northern side of the Parish and is an Edwardian era Tudor style house designed by Oswald Milne, a former assistant to the Arts & Crafts Movement architect Edwin Lutyens and completed in 1910. Huntercombe Hall is now a care home.
Nuffield Place (formerly Merrow Mount) completed in 1914 and purchased by Lord Nuffield in 1933 when it was renamed. Lord Nuffield had the house enlarged and lived there until his death in 1963 and is buried at the Holy Trinity Parish Church. Nuffield Place was bequeathed to Nuffield College but is now in the ownership of the National Trust and was reopened to the public in April 2012. Access is by tickets with timed visits to prevent the modest house becoming overloaded with visitors, preventing enjoyment of the home of one of the founders of the British motor industry.
Our only public house, The Crown is situated on the main road and backs onto the golf course.
In the centre of the Parish is Huntercombe Golf Club. Designed and built in 1901 by Willie Park junior, the course was heralded and being one of the finest 'inland' links in the country. Willie was a renowned golfer winning the Open Championship in 1887 and 1889 after which he became a credited golf course designer. The rolling countryside, gorse bushes and brisk breezes coming up the Chiltern hillside proved a very enjoyable place to play golf. Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, was also a member and had James Bond playing the infamous Goldfinger on the course in the book of the same name.